Jump to recipe
Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Soup
A Homemade Clean Eating version of the Family FAVORITE! Makes about 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken legs, or thighs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free flour
- 4 cups chicken stock, or broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 8 -10 minutes; set chicken aside. (I wrap meat in foil to save moisture at this point.)
Add coconut oil to the same stockpot over medium heat. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery and thyme.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
Add the stock whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
Roughly shred chicken with forks, then add back into the pot and add coconut milk, rosemary, sea salt and pepper to taste.
Cook on medium-low heat for an additional 15-20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley and rosemary, if desired.