Jump to recipe
Sweet + Sour Chicken
“The best sweet and sour sauce I’ve ever had! My whole family loved it and that usually doesn’t happen!” -Laurie W.
Are you in charge of dinner at your house every single night like I am?!
Do you feel like you’re constantly in a state of perplexity and uncertainty over what to do in this often difficult situation?
The daily predicament!?!
Every night, THE SAME CONSTANT PRESSURE!?!
Oh, the age-old (what’s for dinner) DILEMMA!?!
We start feeding them…now they expect it..LOL
Tender chicken bites coated with a deliciously sticky homemade sweet and sour sauce is solving all of our “WHAT’S FOR DINNER?!” quandaries tonight!
And then again once each week because this Sweet & Sour Chicken is REALLY THAT GOOD!
I recommend serving this chicken with brown rice and steamed broccoli.
This recipe is EXCELLENT for meal prep and stays great in the fridge for about 4 days.Makes 6 servings
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 Tbsps gluten-free flour, or arrowroot powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to your taste about 1/4 teaspoon each
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil
- 4 bell peppers, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large white onion, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh green onions
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup 100 percent pure pineapple juice
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsps coconut aminos, Bragg’s liquid aminos, or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- a pinch of sea salt, or to taste
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk all sweet and sour sauce ingredients. Set your sauce aside until ready to use.
Place the chicken pieces into a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour, sea salt, and pepper, then toss well to evenly coat the chicken.Heat the oil in a large skillet or cast iron over medium-high heat. Add in your coated chicken and cook for about 6 minutes while gently turning and stirring, until nicely browned.Drizzle your sweet and sour sauce over the top of your chicken, then bring to a simmer.Once simmering, reduce heat to a LOW simmer and stir in the onion and peppers. Continue to simmer on LOW heat for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
Be sure to stir frequently, so the sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan as it thickens.Once your sweet and sour chicken is ready, sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!