Jump to recipe
Creamy Shrimp + Rice Soup
Oh man..it’s creamy, hearty, and nicely balanced with complex carbohydrates and protein…you’re gonna love this one!
The flavor is incredible for such a simple soup!
Creamy Shrimp + Rice Soup is an easy one-pot meal that will become a family favorite that you’ll feel good about serving.
Add a side salad like our wedge salad or our Thai inspired avocado salad
Makes about 6 servings
- 2 Tbsps olive oil, or ghee
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced small
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 8 cups vegetable stock, or chicken bone broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground, or to taste
- 2 cups jarred crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 – (13.5 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 Tbsps fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 Tbsps freshly chopped parsley
Heat oil/ghee in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat.
Add in your onions, peppers, and garlic, then sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
Stir in your uncooked brown rice, and saute for about 2 minutes, then carefully add your stock/broth, sea salt and pepper. Allow everything to simmer covered over low heat, until rice is almost done, about 35 minutes.
Once your rice is tender, stir in your crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and coconut milk.
Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Add in your fresh lemon juice, and raw shrimp and stir for a couple of minutes until just cooked through. Shrimp will cook fast, so make sure you don’t over cook them.
Season your delicious soup with freshly chopped parsley, and lemon wedges, then serve hot.