Jump to recipe
Island Dream Grilled Shrimp + Pineapple Bowls 🍍🍤🌴
Sweet 🎶 Sweet Summertime in a Bowl! 🌞
This combo is extremely satisfying with the sweet grilled pineapple + tangy marinade + garlicky grilled shrimp!
Oh, the sweet & tangy FLAVORS happening here with these shrimp is SO WORTH the 30-minute marinade session!🔥
Do you use your BBQ grill year-round or just in the warmer months? We tend to use our grill year-round, but it definitely gets fired up more often throughout the Summer!
Shrimp cook up very fast on the grill – just a few minutes on each side and they’re done!
You’ll definitely need to use skewers so that your shrimp don’t fall through the BBQ grates.
We’ve been enjoying tropical fruits these past few weeks at our house because I’ve noticed they’re plentiful at our local grocers right now. On sale too!
Make these bowls for dinner tonight, or make them for future meals this week – either way, you’re making THE RIGHT choice 💯
Although fresh pineapple is available year-round throughout most of the US, this island fruit hits its peak from March through July.
Besides being completely DELICIOUS, fresh Pineapple is packed with nutrients, antioxidants, and other helpful compounds, such as enzymes that can help support digestion, fight inflammation and disease.
🍍So eat up!
Here’s our CFC Homemade Ketchup Recipe
For the shrimp:
- 1-1/2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 1 cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos, tamari, Braggs liquid aminos, or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsps raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated on the microplane
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced or grated on the microplane
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, or to taste
- 3 tsps sesame oil
- bamboo skewers soaked in water so they don’t burn or metal skewers
For the bowls:
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and sliced, center removed
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or melted unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice, to serve
- fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
- fresh lime wedges
Soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes, so they don’t burn on the grill.
To make your marinade; in a medium bowl add fresh pineapple juice, coconut aminos, vinegar, ketchup, honey, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, and sesame oil. Whisk well.
Reserve 1/2 cup of this marinade (set aside for serving, untouched by the raw shrimp) then add the rest into a large glass bowl or ziplock together with the shrimp. Seal then shake or stir to combine well. Refrigerate to marinate the shrimp for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat your grill pan or an outdoor grill over medium heat. Skew the marinated shrimp onto skewers as shown.
Grill your shrimp over medium-high heat for 2 – 3 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, drizzle or spray the bell pepper and pineapple with avocado oil or coconut oil. Sprinkle the bell pepper with smoked paprika, sea salt, and pepper.
On the same preheated grill, grill your bell peppers & pineapple for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, or until nicely charred and heated through.
To assemble your bowls, divide the cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice equally into 4 serving bowls. Top with the grilled bell peppers and pineapple. Serve with your shrimp skewers as shown.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges and serve with the remaining (reserved – untouched) marinade sauce.