Jump to recipe
Lemony Chicken Meatball Soup
Our family has a new favorite soup (maybe you do too!)
This Lemony Chicken Meatball Soup is bright and SUPER satisfying thanks to those perfectly seasoned baked meatballs.
I make soup at least once a week, year-round; it’s quick, easy, affordable, and my family always loves it.
Soup is especially great to keep on the stovetop when we have different family members (teenagers) rolling in at various times throughout the evening after their work and activities.
I often double or triple my batch so that we have future meals. Soup is ALWAYS better the next day once the flavors have more time to develop.
With full-time working parents + 6 kids at home, I am ALL about the FAST and easy dinner ideas throughout the week. After a long day the very last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen!
This meatball soup made with ground chicken is a simple stockpot meal that’s got it all: veggies, plenty of meat and bone broth for protein and LOTS of flavor. And best of all, kids adore it thanks to the meatballs!
P.s. You CAN substitute the oat flour for almond flour or panko bread crumbs (or a combo!) if you like.
➡️ Rachel’s Tips:
How To Make Oat Flour:
Oat flour is the simplest flour to make at home, using whole rolled oats (old fashioned oats) and your high speed blender or food processor.
2 cups of whole rolled oats equals about a cup of oat flour, or maybe a bit more, depending on how finely you grind it.
You may have to stop your machine and move the flour around with a spoon.
Process for at least 1 minute. You want your flour to be as finely and uniformly ground as possible.
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/3 cup ground oats (or oat flour)
- 1 small shallot, very finely minced
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste about 1/4 teaspoon each
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, or avocado oil
For the Soup:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 cups chicken bone broth or low sodium broth
- juice and zest of 1 large fresh lemon
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to your taste
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsps freshly chopped parsley, to garnish