Jump to recipe
Crockpot, Stockpot, or Instant Pot Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup
A tasty SIMPLE Mexican-Style recipe that easily converts to YOUR favorite cooking methods, seamlessly!
This recipe (as with most soup recipes) is very versatile! You can leave things out if you want, and always add “extras” and more of your favorite chosen ingredients!
Soup always tastes better the next few days after sitting in the fridge, so double or triple for future meals.
This freezes well, too! Store in freezer-safe containers it will last in your freezer for up to 2 months.
We’ve also hosted family parties where Mexican Chicken Soup becomes a big “serve yourself bar” with ALLL of the most delicious toppings chopped-up for our guests to enjoy! Fun and easy cold-weather entertaining!
Makes about 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
- 15 oz. kidney beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
- 1 cup (fresh, or frozen) organic corn
- 14.5 oz. jar diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- Juice from 1 fresh lime
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon each
- fresh-squeezed lime juice
- a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- green onions, chopped
- grated jack cheese
- grape tomatoes halved
- dollop of plain Greek yogurt
- organic tortilla chips