7 Foods for Healthy, Glowing Skin!
Glowing skin starts in the gut! While there are multiple contributing factors to issues with our skin, one of the first places to look is your diet.
An imbalance of bad bacteria, digestion issues, or overconsumption of sugar, fried foods or processed carbohydrates can all result in weathered looking skin. You can transform the way your skin looks and feels by following the principles of Clean Eating.
These are some simple foods that you can incorporate on a daily or weekly basis to get youthful, glowing skin!
1. Bone Broth: the key ingredient in bone broth that makes your skin glow is collagen! Collagen is a protein that supports hair, skin, and nails to grow healthy and strong. It also contains a host of anti-aging minerals like magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus.
Try this bone broth recipe to lower inflammation and heal your gut.
2. Carrots: they’re rich in beta carotene, a type of Vitamin A and one of the most powerful antioxidants. Carrots also contain Vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system. Some brides have even juiced carrots for the weeks leading up to their wedding to improve their complexion! Roast or steam carrots to enjoy their beautifying and nutritious properties.
Try this recipe for honey butter herb roasted carrots.
3. Lemon Water: lemons are packed with nutrients, antioxidants, and vitamins that promote a youthful, glowing complexion. If you’re dehydrated or experiencing digestion issues, one of the first places this might show up is the skin. Sometimes this looks like eczema, acne, or dry and flaky skin. Drinking lemon water daily will help balance your pH, hydrate you, and even support your digestion, all factors to consider when working on your skin quality.
Here are 22 reasons to drink lemon water daily.
4. Salmon: Omega 3 fatty acids are well known to help balance hormones and give your skin that natural, youthful glow. The omega 3 fatty acids in wild salmon are naturally anti-inflammatory and help to protect your collagen stores. Eating wild salmon along with supplementing with Omega 3’s can help to nourish you from the inside out.
Try these garlic herb salmon bowls for Clean Eating.
5. Avocado: rich in Vitamin E and other fatty acids, avocado is a hormone healthy food. Balanced hormones mean beautiful skin! Try a few of these avocado recipes:
Fresh and clean avocado corn salad
Fast and easy chicken avocado egg salad
You can also use avocado as a face mask! Here’s a simple recipe to try making yourself if you have dry skin or acne:
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 tbsp. honey
Mix together into a mashed paste and apply to your face for 20 minutes or until it’s dry, then rinse off with cool water.
6. Dark Leafy Greens: packed with antioxidants and loaded with nutrition, leafy greens are beauty promoting foods! Dark leafy greens are rich in fiber, helping your body to absorb all of the vitamins from the foods you eat. Try this Kale in smoky garlic sauce recipe.
7. Coconut Oil: Antibacterial, rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E, eating coconut oil over other processed oils can help keep your skin clear and looking fresh. Coconut oil is good for so many things, you can even use it as a moisturizer on your skin! Here are 22 healthy + creative ways to use coconut oil.