Jump to recipe
Fresh Vegetable & Black Bean Chili
I just threw together a big stock-pot for food-prep this afternoon.
The house smells AMAZING & the kids loved it!
I doubled the recipe so that we have the next 3 days covered.
I’d imagine this would be wonderful over a baked potato, or topping a taco salad.
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 red or green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large poblano chile or jalapeno, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey (or grass-fed beef)
- 2-3 cups diced fresh tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, preferably reduced-sodium, rinsed well and drained, or 3 cups home-cooked/prepared black beans
- 4 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- Sliced green onions & diced avocado as garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large stock-pot over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion, bell pepper, chile, and garlic, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes.
Add turkey, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often and breaking meat into chunks, until it’s no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes (drain grease).
Stir in tomatoes, broth, zucchini, beans, tomato paste, chili powder, & cumin.
Cover and bring chili to a boil, stirring often.
Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended, 45 minutes.
Stir in lime juice. If you like, add salt to taste and serve with cheese and cilantro.
Food prep make ahead: Up to 3 days, refrigerated. Wonderful the next day!